Sunday, October 12, 2014

Of Rose Buds and Rotary Phones

Broderie Perse Rosebuds Appliqued
After all that worrying, I finally appliqued my broderie perse rose buds to the center of my Whig Rose block this week, and they weren't as bad as I thought they would be.  Broderie Perse means that I cut the rose buds out of a scrap of my Vervain Monado print drapery fabric (it's 100% cotton, very lightweight, and I did prewash it). 
Monado print from Vervain, Havana colorway
I used Jeanne Sullivan's Patch Back product to give the rose buds a little dimension and preturned the fabric edges with glue stick, then used Roxanne's Glue Baste It to secure them in place for stitching. 

As you can see, the rose buds that initially appeared to be identical in the drapery fabric are more obviously NOT identical now that I've stitched them onto the dark brown fabric.  I think that's okay.  What may or may not be okay is that now the center of my Whig Rose block bears an uncanny resemblance to a rotary telephone dial: 

Would it help if I tried to squish additional rose buds between each of these to reduce the rotary dial effect, or should I leave it alone?  It would be a pretty tight fit if I tried to add more rose buds.  Alternatively, I could do some kind of embroidered embellishment between the rose buds.  Who knows -- maybe the rotary phone dial look will grow on me.
Tulip Thingys Up Next

Next up for this block will be the tulip thingys, or whatever they are supposed to be.  Today I think they look like Daffy Duck footprints.  I've already reverse appliqued the centers, and now the challenge will be in needle turning the tight outer curves smoothly as I stitch these onto the block.  Wish me luck!  I'll try to take the sharp curves slowly, just turning enough for one stitch at a time, and hope for the best.

Tulip, or Daffy Duck Foot Print?
Before I get back to more hand stitching, though, I have to dust off Sergei the Serger and thread him up for a cover stitch.  This will require a consult with his instruction manual, since I haven't done it in awhile.  The BBC Shop only sells Dr. Who tee shirts in adult sizes, and I bought Anders an adult size small that needs to be shortened for him lest anyone mistakes it for a nightgown!

I'm linking up with Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts today and Anything Goes Monday at Stitch By Stitch.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend!


Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think it looks good as is - I wouldn't have thought of the phone if you hadn't mentioned it :)

Podunk Pretties said...

Great looking block! Love the colors and the rotary look. I vote to leave it as is.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Beautiful block! Maybe some little embroidered daisy chain leaves would help those roses out! Although, your probably just focused on them right now and it will be just fine.

audrey said...

Wow! What a great block!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I like the little roses...they did not remind me of an old phone!

Ivory Spring said...

Hi Rebecca,

So glad to hear from you! I am so glad I am able to comment on your blog again... I wasn't able to for a while there.

You are doing some beautiful work!!! I am loving your pineapple quilt very much.

Juliann in WA said...

I would not change it. Such a lovely block. I am happy to see so much handwork.

Karen said...

The block is very well done with the broderie perse technique.

lw said...

The very symmetrical rotary dial rosebuds only bother me if I think the block was trying to be organic. There's nothing inherently wrong with symmetry.

On the other hand, if I leave something in that bothers me one of two things happens: I stop noticing it entirely and wonder the heck I was worried about *or* it always bothers me and I end up giving the quilt away. If you set it aside for a week and look at it again, you'll know if it bothers you enough to do something about.

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

LOL! NO they don't resemble the phone dial / too funny :)

Gorgeous and thanks for the laugh :)

Quilter Kathy said...

A fun post :)
Love the little circles you appliqued... I don't see a rotary dial at all ;)
And I love the duck feet... hope the stitching went well!