Happy Week End, everyone, and happy Month End as well! One of the goals I'd set for myself at the start of January was to make some more blocks for my Retro '80s Building Blocks sampler quilt, and I finally did that yesterday. Four more happy little 5" blocks are completed, only one of which was in the original Moda Modern Building Blocks design. The other three blocks were among the many that I swapped out when I was redrafting the quilt in EQ8 Quilt Design Software (affiliate link) to suit my purposes.
|Four More 5 Inch Blocks for Retro '80s Building Blocks|
Gotta admit, I am still not 100% thrilled with the center of the little Lemoyne Star but it took me a LONG time to piece that one with all of its little Y-Seams, and I decided it's Good Enough. Or at least, it's the best I could do that day.
Here they are, my completed blocks back up on the design wall, with the new ones added into the mix:
|Back on the Design Wall: 38 Blocks Finished, 15 Remaining to be Made|
For those of you who haven't seen any of my earlier posts about this quilt, here's a quick recap. I started out with the idea that I wanted to make the Moda Modern Building Blocks quilt that was a popular BOM (Block of the Month) about eight years ago. But I wanted mine to finish a different size to fit a particular bed, and I did not have the kit or the pattern anyway, so I set about redrafting the quilt in EQ8 from pictures of... But instead of sizing my blocks as ruler-friendly multiples of 6", my blocks were multiples of 5" in order to get the finished quilt size I wanted with the borders I added. The whole idea behind the "building blocks" sampler was for it to be a skill builder, so I eliminated all of the unecessary seams that Moda had added to simplify the piecing, adding back Y-seam construction because that's a skill I wanted to focus on. I also swapped out 40% of the blocks in the original quilt for different ones in order to get that retro 1980s vibe I wanted and/or to include blocks that were more interesting (to me) or more challenging. And I added rainbow borders that were inspired by the suspenders Robin Williams' character wore on the television show Mork & Mindy.